Saturday, October 15, 2011

Fall weather inspiration

 

I love fall.  It is my absolute favorite time of the year.  I love the cool weather, the upcoming holidays, and the shorter days.  When that first day of fall weather hits I start thinking about making homemade bread, canning, pumpkin pies, and using the fireplace.  This year, the canning bug hit.  Two years ago I made about 20 jars of plum jam but this year I wanted to use fruit from my garden.

My good friend Theresa, who moved away a few years ago, was quite the avid farmer/gardener and a totally awesome do-it-yourselfer.  Before she left, she gave me two of her grape vines.  I planted them back along my fence line but didn’t do much else with them.  We had some serious problems with irrigation and I never saw the vines grow.  I assume I had killed them.  This year, after some serious backyard renovation and irrigation repair, the vines started growing like weeds.  I couldn’t believe they were still alive!  We had so many grapes – I didn’t know what to do with them all.  Enter – fall weather and canning.  This is what we picked just the other day:

IMG_1028_edited-1 

And this is what we got in the end:

IMG_1040_edited-1

Yummy homemade grape jelly.  How awesome is that?!?

2 comments:

April McEvoy said...

I agree- Fall is my favorite! And Fall in Utah is really truly amazing. I just finished doing peach jam and salsa :)

Sarah Haynie said...

I love fall also, but I love that you enjoy doing all these fun projects, like canning. I grew up with a mother that canned almost anything you could think of and it was so awesome to go down into the basement and pick from the shelves something my Mom had grown, picked, canned and filled with her love and hard work. I am sure your children will remember this jam when they get older. Sometimes it takes awhile for us to appreciate the talents our Mom's have. Love to you and yours!