Sunday, December 7, 2008

Christmas craziness

I love Christmas. I love the smell of the Christmas tree permeating my house for a whole month. I love the lights and all the decorations. I don't love the scrambling around to buy presents. I am always plagued with the worry I didn't get enough presents for somebody. I started to reflect on the one thing which makes my Christmas miserable (besides dealing with nasty family members) and decided I was not going to worry about this year. I have to be honest though, I worry about it a little. :P

As I've watched my kids in Christmases past tear apart their presents like a wild herd of hyenas taking down a gazelle, I realized they don't appreciate the gifts as much as they really should. This year I've decided to tone it down. We bought the boys a couple of high ticket items and clothes - that's it. The high ticket items are very useful and meant for all 3 of them. I started to doubt my decision but then came across this article from MSN. The article suggests there are 7 things you can buy with money that make you happy. I was skeptical when I read the article but was pleasantly surprised at the end. I think you will enjoy it. Here is the link:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/HomeMortgageSavings/7-smart-ways-to-buy-happiness.aspx?GT1=33011

2 comments:

Ginger said...

I think this is going to be a great season. It won't be about the money, but all the other things that make it special.

DANI KYNASTON said...

I like that article a lot. It is funny how many of the things they talk about are actually Gospel principles. How many times have the prophets told us to get out of debt, or prepare for the future, or to put family first? I guess that is why I always loved the term "Plan of Happiness" more than "Plan of Salvation". Because it really does make you happy! Hope you all had a great holiday!