Sunday, November 30, 2008

Zion National Park at Thanksgiving


We went to Zion National Park this year for Thanksgiving. All I can say is there is no way anyone can be an atheist once they've seen this spectacular place. Only God could create something so beautiful!

We visit Zion every year, usually for Veteran's Day as my grandfather's ashes are scattered there (on the Overlook). However, this year we decided to say goodbye to slaving over the hot oven for Thanksgiving and instead went to Zion. I am so glad we did! We stayed 5 days. It was a great vacation. Two of the days it rained. At first I was upset because we couldn't hike but we spent the time shopping and lounging around in the hotel.

Taking this vacation made me realize how important it is to take it easy. There were no phone calls to make, no emails to send, no errands to run, just enjoying God's beauty. While it is important to serve, we also need to make sure we are serving ourselves and our families first. As a very good friend of mine said, "sometimes we get too caught up in responsibilities that we forget our spiritual responsibilities." So true! Whether it's errands, kid activities, Church responsibilites or even Christmas shopping, I believe we need to focus more on simplicity and spirituality in our lives. We don't have to kill ourselves to prove we're great people, parents, or members. Most of the time it is the small simple things that bring the greatest joys to our lives. I know I need to remember this.

I have included a slide show of Zion. I must warn you, there are many pictures so speed bloggers beware! Also, if you read this post PLEASE COMMENT as I have no idea if more than 3 people read this lol.

4 comments:

Ginger said...

It looks absolutely wonderful. I agree with you, it is important to slow down and remember who you are and where you're going. This is a trip I would love to take. The beauty is unbelievable.

Vidal's Nest said...

Zion's park has always been one of my favorite places to go!
I like the idea of no cooking, and enjoying peacful family time. Nice!

kristifritzel said...

Ahhh, as nice as it is there, you missed the best time of the year! If you every can, try the boulder mountians and Bryce. That is my second favorite. (After Currant Creek)

Jim Proffitt said...

Makes me want to take a road trip. Beautiful!