Friday, December 31, 2010

Ode to my husband, the unsung hero

Okay, this post might make you physically ill, but I’m going to do it anyway because it needs to be done…

I am so grateful for my wonderful husband!  Many times in our marriage I have wanted to beat the crap outta him.  Nothing we do is ho-hum.  We are either desperately in love or wanting to claw each other’s eyes out.  That being said, the usual marital disagreements are few and happiness is the norm.

When I made the decision to stay home with the kids, he wasn’t jumping up and down but was supportive.  He told me he would support whatever I wanted to do.  Our household income took a hit, my degrees started collecting dust on the wall, and my student loans still need to be paid back but, he wanted me to be happy.

Now, when I have those horrible days when my daughter uses me as a punching bag and teething ring, while my mouthy teenage boys won’t stop asking, “what’s for dinner?”; when I want to give up and go back to work, he BEGS me to stay home.  He tells me how important I am to the kids.  He tells me what an impact I am making in their lives.  He reassures me that my brain has not permanently turned to mush and that he thinks I am the most beautiful, most intelligent, and most wonderful person he’s ever met.

When he knows I am really down and feeling particularly under-appreciated by the lil’ monsters, he encourages me to take a nap or go out to lunch with friends or go for a massage (yes I know I’m lucky) while he watches all the kids.  He doesn’t make me feel bad about it or expect anything in return.  He doesn’t make me feel guilty.  He does these things willingly.  If he’s at work and I’m having a rough day, he’ll stealth call his parent and ask and them to come over to help me out.

He will run to the store when I ask him.  He will even go to Target or Walmart after a 10 hour day of work because he doesn’t want me to be overwhelmed.  He gets up every morning he’s home with baby girl so I can sleep in.  Most Saturdays you can find him at The Wild Animal Park with Julia and the boys (if they’ve been behaving).

He compliments my cooking every time I cook something even when its disgusting.  He tolerates my staying up late at night reading with the light on even though he’s sleeping.  He is uber smart but thinks I’m smarter than is.  He’s super spontaneous, making middle-of-the-day trips to Disneyland or wherever suits my fancy.  He also has an AWESOME sense of humor.

Whatever I’ve been through to be where I am now and to have such a wonderful person who loves me so much, was TOTALLY worth it.  I felt it was important to show my gratitude to an amazing individual who doesn't get much credit and who doesn’t ask for much.  He is truly the man of my dreams and I am utterly thankful for him.  And, I am not exaggerating one bit!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes indeed... You are both lucky to have found each other!

*katie said...

You definitely have yourself a good one!

Ginger said...

I think it is interesting that you and Victor found not only each other but a whole new way of life. It is hard to explain it to other people but when you give up what you think you want and agree to live by the commandments you experience a joy greater than you have ever know. There will still be rough patches but you will get through them just fine. I do agree with Vic he is lucky to have you.

karlie said...

i luv this post. I love it when people write real true things from their hearts. Makes blogs seem more real!and please spread some of your crafty self this way...i cant seem to craft it up! =)